Friday, November 4, 2016

Vendor Profile: Birch Artisan Studio






I've been making things for as long as I can remember, but only recently took the plunge and started full-time on my passion. I started this dream in Saskatoon in 2013 but have since made the move back to my hometown, Victoria, BC. My jewelry is focused on two mediums, gemstones and wood. I sustainably harvest local wood from standing deadfall, mostly birch, cedar and arbutus, each having its own unique characteristics. I've learned about spalting and how it creates patterns and designs as the wood starts its decomposing process. Each piece is selected for its beautiful grain and is as individual as you and I. The stones, in addition to their beauty, are said that they each have their own metaphysical properties, used for spiritual, emotional and physical healing. I'm still learning, but this fascinates me, the idea of positive energy being a healing power in itself. The other aspect of working with materials that come from the earth that has become increasingly important to me is the environment. I’m committed to being as sustainable and eco-friendly as possible and am constantly looking for options in suppliers who share this vision. I commit to harvesting my wood sustainably, using eco-friendly, non-hazardous finishes and findings and to use recycled products wherever possible.

For more on Birch:
Instagram: @birch_artisan_studio
Website: https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/BirchArtisanStudio

No comments:

Post a Comment